The team seeks to:
- More accurately and precisely measure flows throughout the solar convection zone: differential rotation, meridional circulation, and other large-scale flows, as well as their spatial and temporal variations.
- Investigate the interior physical conditions that are associated with emergences of large active regions and active nests.
- Better map dynamics and structures at the tachocline.
The Team has extensive expertise working with SOHO/MDI, GONG, and SDO/HMI observations and has extensive technical skills in global, ring-diagram, and time-distance helioseismic analysis methods. In addition to achieving the COFFIES scientific goals, they also compare results from different techniques and solve discrepancies arising from different methods.
Initial activities include:
- Reconcile flow results from different helioseismic techniques.
- Improve inversions of differential rotation.
- Characterize the thermal structure at and near the tachocline.
- Understand and remove the center-to-limb effect that complicates meridional circulation measurements.
The following people are currently on the Helioseismology Team:
Aleczander Herczeg Alexander Getling Alyssa Russell Andrey M. Stejko Aneta Wiśniewska Charles Baldner M. Cristina Rabello Soares Doug Braun Dustin Kempton Ed Rhodes Irina N. Kitiashvili Isaac Asante Jason Jackiewicz JT Stefan Julio Morales Junwei Zhao Kiran Jain Krishnendu Mandal Maria Camisassa Matthias Waidele Milo Buitrago-Casas Nat Mathews S.P. Rajaguru Phil Scherrer Rick Bogart Roger Ulrich Rudi Komm - Barista Ruizhu Chen - Barista Sarbani Basu Alexander (Sasha) Kosovichev Savannah Sky Perez-Piel Shea Hess Webber Sushanta Tripathy Sylvain Korzennik Tim Larson Tom Duvall Travis Metcalfe