At our kick-off meeting, the entire team worked together to develop a COFFIES Mission statement for Diversity and Inclusion team:
We believe that diversity is a strength that drives innovation, creativity and engagement. We are committed to modeling diversity and inclusion for the scientific community, and to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all. We will research and develop tools and best practices to implement in our management structure and education programs that ensure a welcoming, nurturing and robustly inclusive community.
- Practice the Platinum Rule: treat others the way they want to be treated.
- Work to understand and welcome those who are different.
- Stamp out conscious and unconscious biases.
- Be open to new ideas and ways of thinking and learning.
- Create more than one pathway for success.
- Be champions for change in our community.
ALL COFFIES members are expected to participate in DEIA initiatives.